Another week, another test, and as I predicted, two tests this week. Unfortunately I missed the first one this week due to trying to get a job, failed so far if you're interested. Today was the Test Seven, Extended! Which they specifically wanted us to test out the workings of mining and quarrying, which funny thing, last week I stated I'd be doing that this week. Heehee, Great minds thing alike <3 SE. Also, a small section on the Status & Gear Windows.

           As I logged in to find myself, once again near Camp Bearded Rock, as I've learned not to log out in the middle of the lag fest that tend to be where the Aetheryte crystals I quickly teleported back to Limsa Lominsa to visit the Fieldcraft guild, swap out my current cards and head down to Hawker Alley, which is basically like Lower Jeuno with more NPC shops and no auction house. Lol. Purchased some new gear for my Conjurer.

          Then I picked up a shiny new pickaxe and headed out to Camp Bearded Rock for my Fieldleves. Mining Bearded Rock was first on the list, as it gave me the most of a reward, 1900g and a rope belt, which I lacked.

          At first, I was confused. There was the little radar looking thing, and new macros on my hotbar.


          One good thing though, pickaxes don't seem to break. Concerning the new hotbar, in slot 1 we have Throw stone, that was given to us by way of equipping the pickaxe, as well as the Prospect skill. When you use the Prospect skill, it gives you a general direction, “SouthWest” or “North”, then gives a number. Eg; “You sense a mining point southeast at 133 malms. A 'Malm' is equivilent to a mile, but from what I read it should actually say 'Yalms' which would signify yards, which makes more sense as I can't imagine anyone running 133 miles for a mining point, especially without knowing how much precious ore is actually in that vein. The skill in slot 3 is called a Lithoscan, it works much like Prospect, except it looks specifically for quarrying points, again similar to mining points but you need what's called a knapping hammer which is used for shaping certain stones, usually gold. The Knapping Hammer goes in your 2nd Arm slot or Alt Arm slot if you'd like to be difficult. I will be explaining that later.

          From what I've read and tested, the first inner circle is your concentration, the second is strength. It's all very trial and error as SE decided not to tell us ANYTHING ABOUT IT. In Fig.M1 below, you can view the circle, and see the orange trace. That orange circle trace is the strength's bubble I guess you'd call it. It starts small and grows big, like one of those old games where you had to time it just right to get to the perfect line. Very exciting! Before the Orange circle appears, you have a Blue circle which pertains to your concentration. If you go beyond the inner circle's diameter, you will have no concentration status in your log, at least from what I gather. In Fig.M2, on the left you have a prompt which shows you various information about your mining, also successes will appear in the middle of your screen, full screen shots of that below. On the right in Fig.M2 you see a little empty bar, from what I noticed, you get a initial amount of concentration from your first successful concentration check, then it depletes each time you swing. Once its gone, you're given another concentration check, but with the also an integrity check of the vein which could lead to less or better quality items. It's all very touch and go right now.


          When you first begin to mine a point, it will give a consideration, like when you /check a target. In the following screenshot you can see it pointed out that the point appears to be quite challenging. Also you can see the recorded Digging Force 91, first swing, and 94 second swing. Also, check out the brightness of that mining point, you can see that clearly from at least 60 malms, no problem. The trick is getting the camera in the right direction so you can see the shiny rays lol.



          After today's testing with this feature, I don't know how I ever mindlessly allowed myself to mine in FFXI lol. This system is just so much more detailed, so much more HEY STAY AWAKE AND PLAY. Go ahead and say goodbye to bots, at least until they figure out that little radar thingy. I plan to touch this mining subject again, as it can be crucial to making gil in FFXIV since the crafting items are actually ALL useful and important. They are items that are actually wanted and needed by everyone. Most likely, I will include a crafting section along with that 2nd visit to Mining and Fieldleves.

          Onto the Status & Gear window. There is surprisingly a lot of detail here, so much so that it may seem kind of daunting at first. Brace yourself, you're gonna need to hold onto something.


          Alright, So we have your name, race, AR(Arm Rank), and PR(Physical Rank). Yes I've chosen names for it since nobody seems to have an idea. Attributes which is your standard STR, VIT, etc, but with an uncommon attribute, Luck!. Nobody has any idea how Luck works, and honestly? We most likely won't for a few years. Luck has been one of those attributes in games that tends to elude people.
Then we have the elemental attributes, are they defensive? Are they offensive? Who knows at this point. The game manual they put out hasn't said anything about it at all. All I do know for sure, is that the standard attributes still function the same as usual and that you can add points to EVERYTHING. Elements, HP, MP. You completely customize all of the stats you see other than the Physical and Magical. Those stats in particular are effected by everything else...I thought I had a screen shot of the screen I'm talking about, but I don't. So I'll be sure to upload it next week. 

          In the skills window you see the AR levels I've put in so far, yes I know sad and pathetic. Get over it, I do as much testing as I can. Plus navigation in Limsa Lominsa is a trial enough.

 
          Here we have a focus on the Gear window. As you can see I have little to no armor for a miner, but eh there isn't any aggressive types near Camp Bearded Rock. Least not that I've encountered. As you can see, there is Primary Arm, and Secondary Arm. It provides the ability to slot secondary items for AR, such as a file, or a knapping hammer. I do believe it also will allow for dual wielding later, but there has been no sign of that thus far. The Large and small pouches I believe will rest on the hips, and allow for further bag space, which currently we have 80 slots initially. I don't know if they will remove that and force us to quest for it, but I think they've grown out of that. So far, I really like this system, The Status & Gears, along with the ability to completely customize your PR stats is a total win win and will really show who knows how to play their character properly. I smell a big burst in FAQ's, Setup guides, but even those will be set aside once people figure things out and customize it themselves, to suit their own play style. With so many variables in building your character, you won't be able to follow someone's stat point spending guides.

Oh man its 4:38am, so a very very tired yet so excited about FFXIV, this is Wicked signing off from Eorzea!

See you next week!

8 Responses so far.

  1. Good info again. Hope you don't mind fielding a couple more questions.

    I noticed from watching other videos that, while just attack, you gain weapon skill points, like how you raised your various skills in FFXI, but I also noticed that you get weapon experience points after defeating any enemy, with a different message. Are those two different things, or just two different messages/names for the same thing?

    Also, it looks like on the stat screen that the number in parentheses is the base value, while the first number is the total value of the stat after equipment. But attack/magic potency also have a base stat in parentheses, but it's a 0. Is there supposed to be a way to raise the base value of those stats, or is it just showing them for consistency?

    Finally, is there a way to reassign/reset stats later on?

  2. I don't mind answering any questions at all, thank you for your continued interest and subscription :)

    What you are referring to with Weapon Experience Points(I believe) is AR experience points.
    You gain experience in Arm Ranks, Physical Ranks, and Elemental ranks. I'd like to explain further, would you mind linking the video you're talking about? I rarely get to see my chat log in anything but a blur of text. Until then, this is all I can offer.

    Concerning the stat screen, yes the number in parentheses is the base value, the first number is the total value after equipment. With attribute points spent, it will also go go into the base value section. I will take a comparison shot tomorrow during the 3rd! Test this week. I will also show the stat point spending screen.

    SE has failed to note or give any kind of hint that we will be able to reassign stats later, but that seems absolutely ridiculous if that feature wasn't implemented. The Alpha tests as a group believe it will be a feature, most likely to be seen in Beta 2 if not Beta 1.

  3. Great info! I'm most curious about the prospect of botters tying into the game and destroying another mmo. Is there any system that is bot proof? If the answer is no, then how much time do we have in FFXIV? Weeks? Months? Even without botters, there will likely be the RMT... A great system? Yes it is. BUT more important to myself and others, what will be done to preserve the game in its pristine form?

    Naldthal, The Hellsguard Tourist

  4. Great question Naldthal,

    Botters are always a great fear in MMO's yes, but with this game, how the battle system is built, and the mining system. As well as the menu's concerning shops and npc's. They require so much tactile interaction, all of it does. I promise you won't be falling asleep while playing this game. Nobody will be able to just go AFK or run a bot program.

    In all my years of computers and studying computers, I still cannot fully understand how they have protected FFXI SO incredibly well against private servers. Although it did succumb to botters, it held steadfast against that. With FFXIV, I cannot imagine yet that a bots will exist.

    I will see if I can ask the Alpha Admins and see if they will give any information concerning this though, as well as check the forums if anyone else has any input.

    Thank you

  5. Re: videos, most of the videos show them. Just as a random example, one recent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WRB9V6Keec

    There are parts, after attacking, where it shows his archery proficiency going up, but after defeating an enemy, he also gets the message that he gains archery skill points.

  6. Alright, I see what you were talking about Brian, Archery Skill Proficiency Points and Archer Proficiency are one in the same, I do not understand why it shows it as different, and I will bring it up to them as a matter of clarification needed.

    Also, where it said 800 Experience points at 2:02, those points are just standard PRank points.

    And those screenshots I mentioned? will be uploaded today.

    Thanks again for the great questions Brian.

  7. Just noticed another thing in that video Brian, on my 3nd time watching it, at 3:01 you'll notice the points while in battle says 274, and at the end of battle it says 274 as well. I believe what it is showing at the end of battle is the total amount you gained during that fight. Which would make sense to show you. Also at 1:21 you'll notice the skill points earned in that fight (:10-:21) added up to 167 and it posts it at the end of the fight. So it is the same, but more so, added together to show you one number in the end.

    I would have liked sometimes to know how many skill points I got when I used Hundred Fists+Focus+Berserk+Haste to take down a big bad. Would have been nifty.

  8. Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it.

Post a Comment